Question 2: Do steps 4.1 - 4.5 miss or overlook any important areas?

Question 2: Do steps 4.1 - 4.5 miss or overlook any important areas?

Posted by Anne Horan on Aug 1, 2011 12:04 pm

Do steps 4.1 - 4.5 miss or overlook any important areas?

Re: Question 2: Do steps 4.1 - 4.5 miss or overlook any important areas?

Posted by Michael McCormick on Aug 7, 2011 4:05 pm

The RSC is to be commended in producing the 'Lanscape'.  As lecturer in chemistry in FE there are two things that I would like to comment on.  First, the statement that "the UK improves its world-class science and chemistry education ....".  I think that we are in danger of feeling a little smug as to teh quality of our education system as report after report shows the UK slipping down the international tables, e.g. PISA.  The second point concerns 4.2h.  I have taught  Salters' and AQA and IB chemistry in recent years and the content of "traditional" schemes, such as AQA, seem uninspiring to say the least.  With the split of A-level into AS and A2 there is little time to cover a scheme and truelly inspire learners.  One suggestion would be to re-introduce the two year course, therebye giving us an extra term's teaching.  Another would be adpoting the Salters'approach more widely using a more thematic approach. 

Re: Question 2: Do steps 4.1 - 4.5 miss or overlook any important areas?

Posted by Anthony Hardwicke on Aug 17, 2011 11:15 am

It annoys me when organisations with the funds to write new resources for teachers (like the RSC) say; ‘There’s no need for us to write resources because there’s already so much out there on the internet.’ This is implied in point 4.1d, ‘More primary science e-resources are available which are promoted by the RSC and other education bodies.’ There’s actually not much at all for lower-attainers in terms of decent-quality classroom chemistry resources. It is the RSC’s job to write resources for chemistry teachers. And they’re not doing enough.

Want to reply?

You must be signed in to MyRSC to respond to forum posts. If you're not currently a member, you can register for free.