Question 2: Do the steps 2.1 - 2.4 miss or overlook any important areas?

Question 2: Do the steps 2.1 - 2.4 miss or overlook any important areas?

Posted by Anne Horan on Aug 1, 2011 11:27 am

Do the steps 2.1 - 2.4 miss or overlook any important areas?

Re: Question 2: Do the steps 2.1 - 2.4 miss or overlook any important areas?

Posted by Chris Satterley on Aug 9, 2011 5:34 pm

I think that there should be a section in interfaces with large national and international industrial partners as well as the focus on SMEs and also a need to look outside traditional chemical industries to other areas such as Energy. Working for an international corporation with strong links to UK universities (as well as universities and research institutions around the world) I know that there are plenty of opportunities for such collaborations in the UK.

As such, I think that the steps should either lose the SME focus (probably not so good) or have corresponding sections for larger industrial partnerships (for example, the RSC isn't doing a great job of supporting any of its industrial members compared to the engineering societies, so its not only SME employees that need more support). I'm not clear why SMEs are the only way to go here, but that is the impression I'm given when reading the document.

Also, although it is stated in section 2.1b that industry is interested in teams rather than specific disciplines or sub-disciplines there doesn't seem to be the space devoted to linking up in intra- and inter- departmentally (especially the links between chemistry and chemical engineering). This is a real issue in my experience and needs a more structured recommendation.

Want to reply?

You must be signed in to MyRSC to respond to forum posts. If you're not currently a member, you can register for free.