Question 2: Do steps 3.1 - 3.7 miss or overlook any important areas?

Question 2: Do steps 3.1 - 3.7 miss or overlook any important areas?

Posted by Anne Horan on Aug 1, 2011 1:31 pm

Do steps 3.1 - 3.7 miss or overlook any important areas?

Re: Question 2: Do steps 3.1 - 3.7 miss or overlook any important areas?

Posted by Jesus Cirre Torres on Aug 7, 2011 10:21 pm

In 3.7, PhD and postdoctoral positions, section d. I think that it should be pointed out that post doctoral fellowships comprise alternative training or duties other than teaching and research to obtain a permanent lecturing position. It is clear that there are more postdoctoral persons (postdocs) than permanent lecturing positions. It is not possible to create enough permanent lecturing positions for all the postdocs. It would be better if post doctoral fellowships comprise a more general overview of possible alternatives than academia and give the postdoc the opportunity of training in things such as a project management, enterprising skills, supervising and managing people, finance and funding research projects, public engagement, etc. Training on one or some of these areas (not all of course!) will give the opportunity to the postdoc to carry on his/her career in other sectors, such as industry, government, media, etc and we will not lose his/her scientist knowledge.

Please, note that I think that point d is good as it is if the idea is that the postdoctoral position develop to a permanent lecturing post, but unfortunately it is not going to be possible for all the postdocs

Posted by Catherine Joce on Aug 10, 2011 3:36 pm

What about maths skills?

Carol Vodernam's report on maths education makes a compelling case for the need to increase the maths skills of STEM graduates: http://www.conservatives.com/News/News_stories/2011/08/~/media/Files/Downloadable%20Files/Vorderman%20maths%20report.ashx

The RSC/HE STEM Programme's Teacher Fellowship scheme provides support for the secondment of secondary school chemistry teachers to work in university chemistry departments to give academics the benefit of their teaching experience, their knowledge of the curriculum and to contribute to academics' understanding of students' abilities and experience. 

This is a highly successful scheme aimed at easing the school to university transition.  It occurs to me that Maths Teacher Fellows would be ideal for raising the maths standards of chemistry undergraduates who did not take A-level maths.

Posted by Ray Elliott on Aug 12, 2011 9:25 pm

Thank you for pointing out the report on Maths, it makes for intersting reading.  I suspect many of the messages or the same for science, e.g. the first of the three issues highlighted in the introduction!

Want to reply?

You must be signed in to MyRSC to respond to forum posts. If you're not currently a member, you can register for free.