RSC Elections.....President. My thoughts on Local Sections.....Roy Sandbach

RSC Elections.....President. My thoughts on Local Sections.....Roy Sandbach

Posted by Roy Sandbach on May 25, 2020 3:58 pm

Hi everyone,
I've just posted some of my thoughts on the importance of Interest Groups & I want to say a few words about Local Sections as well.

Although I've been involved with Division work with the RSC for many years, I've probably had my best times with my Local Section in Newcastle. What is better that a chemistry quiz with beer ! It's certainly better than watching my football club......another story. 
I remember turning up at that event and a local journalist friend was in the bar. I asked him whether he'd seen people that looked like they were chemists. He said no and asked why. I told him that we were the RSC and we were having a chemistry quiz.
He has wondered about me ever since !  

Seriously, Local Sections are our lifeblood and there are many vibrant communities. I'd love to visit more of them. But more to the point, while they have many members, I'd like to think that they could provide an even greater and flourishing local link to the RSC for students and younger scientists in the regions. I'd like to see Chemistry undergraduates and young University/working researchers get involved even more. There are some, but not enough. I would love to change this, while keeping the Local Section spirit that we have today.
Hope this makes sense. If anyone wants a chat, get in touch.
For now, I hope that you're all safe and well.
Roy
Professor Roy Sandbach OBE FRSC
Tel 07789 032618
Roy.sandbach@ncl.ac.uk
@profRoys

Re: RSC Elections.....President. My thoughts on Local Sections.....Roy Sandbach

Posted by James Swanson on Oct 16, 2020 5:43 pm

I would love to read your thoughts about the elections now. Maybe you want to add something?

Want to reply?

You must be signed in to MyRSC to respond to forum posts. If you're not currently a member, you can register for free.