IMPORTANT: How to get involved/keep up to date with RSC Divisions

IMPORTANT: How to get involved/keep up to date with RSC Divisions

Posted by Ross McLaren on Mar 22, 2013 6:51 pm

Hi all,

My name is Ross McLaren and I am the Programme Manager for Life Sciences at the RSC. Part of being a Programme Manager means working with the RSC's Divisions and each Programme Manager acts as a Secretary to a Division - for me I'm the Secretary to the Chemistry Biology Interface Division (CBID).

The RSC's near 50 000 members are often members of at least one the RSC's nine Divisions and membership of each Division runs into the many thousands. We (the Division Secretaries) don't want to bombard Division members with e-mails but we think it's important to keep everyone up to date with topics/events/information that is relevant to the Division and we find MyRSC to be a very convenient way of doing this. It's also a good way to get feedback and the thoughts of the community.

Our problem though is that while our Divisions have thousands of members, our forums on MyRSC have substantially less. If you have an interest in the work the Divisions do our events in fields relevant to you then why not consider joining one of the Division Forums on MyRSC? They are free to join and open to all MyRSC Members. If you see a Division that interests you then please feel free to join up and get involved.

The Divisions are:

Analytical Division The Analytical Division promotes analytical chemistry and science by providing a forum for analytical chemists and scientists to exchange information and ideas.

Chemistry Biology Interface Division The CBD is open to all members of the RSC as a society-wide grouping representing the interests of chemical biologists

Dalton Division Promotes the study and dissemination of all aspects of inorganic chemistry concerned with the chemistry of the elements and their compounds.

Education Division Promotes the study and dissemination of knowledge of the various levels of chemical education at all levels.

Environment, Sustainability and Energy Division ESED is open to all members of the RSC as a society wide grouping to represent environmental and related activities.

Faraday Division A forum for physical and biophysical chemistry, molecular and chemical physics and theoretical chemistry.

Industry and Technology Division The Division is concerned with supporting the scientific, technological and managerial application of chemical science across industry and commerce.

Materials Chemistry Division The Materials Chemistry Division (MCD) was born in 1993 at the first International Conference on Materials Chemistry (MC1) in Aberdeen.

Organic Division Embraces subjects ranging from bio-organic/natural products through organometallics to aspects of organic polymers, natural or man-made. 

Re: IMPORTANT: How to get involved/keep up to date with RSC Divisions

Posted by Ross McLaren on Mar 22, 2013 6:52 pm

P.S. As always thoughts and comments are welcome

Posted by Ross McLaren on Jul 3, 2013 3:02 pm

Thanks to everyone who decided to join up to one of the RSC Divisions. You can still do so by following the links on the initial post.

Posted by george jones on Jan 28, 2015 2:57 am

I am a new member and joined. Its love the discussions on this site - George Jones

Posted by John Warren on Mar 3, 2015 9:04 am

Back in the non-MyRSC world how do you change your division subscriptions online? Or is this a feature not yet available?

Posted by Nic Bygrave on Mar 3, 2015 4:54 pm

Hi John,
You can email me at myrsc@rsc.org and I can sort the subscriptions out for you.
Best wishes
Nic

Posted by John Warren on Mar 3, 2015 4:57 pm

No worries I used the power of the telephone to resolve the issue. Same there is no easy way to set this via the members page on the RSC website.

Posted by Nic Bygrave on Mar 5, 2015 8:44 am

Hi John,
I will make a note of your comment and be sure to pass it on to my colleagues.
Best wishes
Nic

Want to reply?

You must be signed in to MyRSC to respond to forum posts. If you're not currently a member, you can register for free.