How much of the science in Breaking Bad is real?

How much of the science in Breaking Bad is real?

Posted by on Aug 16, 2013 1:49 pm

The controversial TV series Breaking Bad is into its final few episodes, with fans wondering how exactly the story of Walter White, a teacher-turned-drug-producing-criminal-mastermind will end. But how many of the frequent science scenes reflect reality, asks chemist Dr Jonathan Hare, a Fellow of the RSC.

Dr Hare's piece went live on the BBC's website today and can be viewed here.

The RSC has also published a series of articles on the science behind Breaking Bad if you are inspired to dig deeper into the chemistry behind the show.

About the author: Dr Jonathan Hare, of the Creative Science Centre at Sussex University, is a physicist and chemist. He is a fellow of the Royal Society of Chemistry.

Re: How much of the science in Breaking Bad is real?

Posted by Yasmin Hussain on Jun 2, 2020 11:12 am

The chemistry shown in Breaking Bad is mostly accurate although some scenes are not. For e.g, the methamphetamine Walt cooks is blue which is a bit misleading. But there are also accurate facts such as when Walters talks about chirality which is the handedness of a molecule.

Posted by George an on Feb 26, 2021 4:24 pm

Accuracy in science experiments depends on your ability and study about chemical and products which you are going to use in your experiments. This public domain proves helpful to know about lab report writing service on science in breaking bad and also about experimental info.

Posted by Jeramy Frazier on Aug 17, 2021 6:58 am

I really love this series, I just watched avidly all the seasons. I really wondered how they filmed it, and how real the story is. Thanks for the link to an interesting source - it was very informative to read. 

Want to reply?

You must be signed in to MyRSC to respond to forum posts. If you're not currently a member, you can register for free.