How to make a solution beyond supersaturated?

How to make a solution beyond supersaturated?

Posted by Michael Roben on Apr 30, 2014 7:46 pm

Hello, I'm currently working for an e-liquid company that makes tobacco based liquids for vaping in e-cigarettes. We were trying to make one of the strongest menthol solutions that we could. We have gotten the solution to the verge of supersaturation, adding one crystal will break the surface tension and start the crystilization process. My boss, however; is still not satisified with the strength of this solution as was trying to take it to a level beyond supersaturation, even if it means adding something else to the mix to further saturate it. 

As of now we are using a PG(propylene glycol) base to disolve the peppermint menthol crystals. As of now we heated the solution then disolved all menthol crystals then let it cool down. At that point when it cooled down it recrystalized into a solid mass inside of the bottle. We added about 25ml of pg at a time to the solution until it remained a liquid at room temperature.

If there is another way of doing this process or something to add to this solution to make it disolve more of the peppermint crystals, it would be a huge help to know how. 

Re: How to make a solution beyond supersaturated?

Posted by Colin Cook on May 2, 2014 8:33 am

You obviously cannot use a protective colloid, as this would get trapped in the wick, being non-volatile. I had some success in solubilising metal soaps and waxy polymers in warm toluene, by adding small quantities of isopropanol. I believe the alcohol acts as a type of peptising agent, and there may be a similar approach to solubilising menthols in your solvent type. Your problem will be the choice of substances, which must have acceptable odour and toxicity profiles. I would look at polyfunctional glycols such as pentaerythritol and glycerol, and there may be some hydroxyesters with low odour.

Re: How to make a solution beyond supersaturated?

Posted by Jerry Shaw on Feb 20, 2018 9:34 am

If there is another way of doing this process or something to add to this solution to make it disolve more of the peppermint crystals, it would be a huge help to know how. 

You can find out the alternative way to deal with crystals here

Want to reply?

You must be signed in to MyRSC to respond to forum posts. If you're not currently a member, you can register for free.