What would you like to see changed?

What would you like to see changed?

Posted by Robert Bowles on Nov 19, 2012 2:02 pm

Anything we can do to make the site easier to use or navigate please let us know. Anything that should be on MyRSC that isn't yet please post your ideas here.

Re: What would you like to see changed?

Posted by Robert Slinn on Nov 19, 2012 2:30 pm

Hi Robert,

As I mentioned, I think there should be a direct link to the RSC YouTube Channel (of videos), also Martyn Poliakoff's excellent 'Periodic Table of Videos' series.

Regards,

Robert

Posted by 100% Pass on Nov 19, 2012 7:23 pm

Yes, I would like it so that you could make it so that I can browse the magazine called 'The Mole'.
It's my homework assignment.
I thank you beforehand, well I may thank you after as well, who knows, well then again I know... anyways I would be grateful if you could do
that, as in create a section for Magazine's only. MAke sure it has 'The Mole' there so 'like I can get bear points in the homework like'

Posted by Katayune Presland on Nov 19, 2012 8:05 pm

Dear 100% Pass

Join ChemNet for free (http://www.rsc.org/Membership/Networking/chemnet/) and then you can browse the magazine The Mole on the MyRSC ChemNet group.

Kat

Posted by Robert Slinn on Nov 23, 2012 9:26 pm

All comments and feedback from MyRSC Members and Non-Members are very important but I tire of related comments constantly containing spam links, such as in previous posts. I would like to see something done to reduce or remove bogus and spam links within Comments and elsewhere on the site.

Posted by Robert Slinn on Nov 27, 2012 1:11 am

In continuation of my last comments here, I would also like to see ridiculous photos removed from profiles, unless appropriate, relevant and related to Chemistry

Posted by Robert Slinn on Nov 27, 2012 9:18 am

My very last comment on the topic of 'spam' and apologies to all for having to post yet again: Is it possible to vet members content re creating Spam in Groups ?

Posted by Bruce Turnbull on Nov 27, 2012 11:13 pm

I think that MyRSC could learn a great deal from LinkedIn. the biggest barrier is having to login every time you come to the website - LinkedIn logs me in automatically. The second thing I hate about MyRSC is getting email messages telling me that I have a message and then I have to login to find it is some inane and unimportant piece of nonsense. LinkedIn just sends me the message in the email! The third thing relates to private groups - we wanted to set up a private group for holding committee meeting discussions for the Carbohydrate Interest Group. But despite it saying clearly on the group list that the group was only for committee members I was constantly being bombarded with requests from random people to join the group. In the end I deleted the MyRSC group and set up a private group on LinkedIn. You may detect a pattern in my post - I am on the point of giving up on MyRSC because on every count LinkedIn wins hands down. Come on RSC - give us something we can work with or spend our membership fees on something more useful.

I hope this provokes some useful discussion...

Posted by Robert Bowles on Nov 28, 2012 9:09 am

Thanks for the comments Bruce. We are looking into the email content issue and are hoping to have this built in in the future and the comment about being logged in is a good one too. With regards the group issue I suspect you may have set the group up as a private group, this shows up in the search listing but new users have to be approved, as you found. Groups can be set up by group administrators as hidden which means they don't show up in the groups listing or any searches which would have solved your problem I think. Sorry we didn't get to you in time to help you set this up for you. Good point on the Login too. 
If you need to know anything else about MyRSC please let me know: myrsc@rsc.org

Posted by Chris Satterley on Nov 28, 2012 4:33 pm

Hi Robert,

We were having a discussion around this topic in our recent committee meeting (Energy Sector) and the key issue for us as an interest group is the limited amount of space we have for user-generated content on our myRSC group homepage.

It would be great if we could have a list of our committee members with links to their myRSC profiles, for example, and several different boxes for content so we can still maintain general information about the group whilst highlighting key events or news (outside of putting a forum topic up).

In essence, it would be great if group admins could have a bit more design control over their group pages.

Thanks,

Chris Satterley,
Secretary, Energy Sector

Posted by Robert Bowles on Nov 29, 2012 11:37 am

Thanks for the feedback Chris, I think the group pages are more customizable than we are currently making them. Leave it with me and I'll see what I can find out for you. The ChemNet group http://my.rsc.org/groups/home/15 show what can be done.  in the meantime, if you can send me more specific info of what you need I can action this for you.
Rob

Posted by Robert Slinn on Dec 8, 2012 9:22 pm

In future, I won't be commenting about spam or non-member inappropriate remarks or links, and will just flag where I see something untoward. I just want to suggest that, as most of the latest remarks come from teens (mainly Years 12/13 I believe ?) that on joining they should be asked to introduce themselves on the MyRSC site to show themselves as 'bona fide' students, adhering to the MyRSC and netiquette rules. I am not a Scrooge in any way and am pleased at MyRSC's success.

Posted by Sebastian Rodriguez Namens on Dec 12, 2012 3:26 am

Hello Robert slinn I would like it if this page was more mobile friendly im always on the move and never have the time to check my account. Maybe RSC could have an app that can organize information just as well as this site does. Thank you

Posted by Robert Bowles on Dec 12, 2012 9:10 am

Thanks Sebastian, 
We are working on a mobile version of the site at the moment and hope to have this ready soon in 2013. Please be patient and stay with us until then.
Regards
Robert

Posted by Robert Slinn on Dec 12, 2012 9:13 am

Hi Sebastian, a while ago I suggested this for iPhone and it works, not an app but a Home Screen Icon for MyRSC.

Go to MyRSC home page: You can either type the address directly into your browser address bar, http://my.rsc.org/home, or you can search for it. That will bring you to its Web application.

Tap the little arrow icon on the bottom of the screen. A dialogue box appears to let you “bookmark” MyRSC on your home screen. When you tap that button, it will take you directly to the mobile MyRSC application. Tap “add to home screen” to stick it there.

http://my.rsc.org/blogs/89/837

Posted by Robert Bowles on Dec 12, 2012 9:33 am

This is a short term fix and will link in to the home page and works fine. I have accessed MyRSC via an Android phone as well and it does work OK, however the website hasn't been fully optimised for mobile devices yet. It will be new year.

Posted by Sugosh Prabhu on Dec 13, 2012 7:24 am

Dear Sir
I sincerely feel in the times of heavy social networking the myrsc online community should have a chat facility
Regards
Sugosh Prabhu

Sugosh R. Prabhu Research Scholar Molecular Photochemistry Section, Radiation and Photochemistry Division Bhabha Atomic Research Centre (BARC), Trombay Mumbai, India

Posted by Robert Bowles on Dec 14, 2012 9:27 am

Thanks Sugosh We'll add it to our feature list and see if that's possible in the near future. Please use the send private message option for now to talk to your contacts.

Posted by Kimichika FUKUSHIMA on Dec 18, 2012 11:11 pm

I am a foreign (Japanese) e-member. The long distance from Europe makes it not so easy to attend a meeting. PCCP-MANA joint meeting in Tsukuba, Japan was useful. This forum will give benefits to long-distance inconvenience; for instance, MyRSC may be used to introduce Web sites where my recent works such as currently freely available in IJQC and to be freely available in JCCJ (Journal of Computer Chemistry, Japan) in the near future. By Dr. Kimichika FUKUSHIMA.

Posted by David Foley on Jan 8, 2013 6:53 pm

Hi Rob,

Can we re-introduce the ability to send emails to MyRSC members we're not friends with (unless they opt-out)?

Also bring back the publications section - again in light of the LinkedIn comments previously, a CV section rather than upload would be good.

David.

Posted by Robert Slinn on Jan 8, 2013 8:58 pm

In reply to David, or perhaps a direct link to ResearcherID or Mendeley for publications ?

Posted by Robert Bowles on Jan 10, 2013 10:35 am

Thanks for the feedback guys.
I think the publications field is a good idea, the sending email is a bit more tricky, you can send them  a message in MyRSC.
Rob

Posted by Robert Slinn on Jan 12, 2013 11:43 am

Hi Robert, just an update to let you know that I have resolved the Firefox browser link problem by removing all cookies, have never done this before but it worked. I think it is mentioned on MyRSC but wonder if a 'technical problems and solutions' section should be added to MyRSC re 'Any Changes'? Best Wishes, Robert

Posted by Sandy Johnstone on Feb 28, 2013 11:49 am

Hi Robert

I'm a relative newcomer to this site and I have to say my first impressions are not fantastic.

One of the first things that needs doing is to bring the Users guide up to date. For example, it tells me I should be able to link to Chemical connections and the virtual library - both of which looked really interesting, but I can't find those links, and presume they've been removed. Also what is the 'Status' box for? It doesn't seem to be explained in the guide. I've also had a number of 'technical' issues and clicked on the FAQ link for help, but unfortunately this doesn't have many answers to using MyRSC!

Some other aspects I found 'irritating':
I tried searching for other people I might know and, when the search threw up multiple names, I had to re-do the search after looking at any profile, rather than being taken back to search results
The 'invite others' button at the side of my start page produced an error message when I tried to use it (button on navigation bar worked)
Having sent invites and requests for contacts, I don't appear to have any record of the requests sent 
There seems to be no option of adding/ editing message sent with invites
Looking at some posts, the dates given don't appear to show the year and it is impossible to tell how old they might be
Clicking on some post links I am told I'm not allowed access, presumably because I'm not on the teachers / students networks - so why have these links appearing on the main site?
I do think the site has huge potential and would have loved to have such a resource in my younger days, but at the moment, to me, it seems to fall a bit short of what I would expect, bearing in mind the RSC is the professional body for chemists.

Sandy Johnstone

Posted by Robert Bowles on Feb 28, 2013 3:02 pm

Thanks for the feedback Sandy.
One of the reasons for having this thread on here was for people like you to tell us what they think of the sites, especially the bad points so that we can try to improve them.
The Chemistry Connections link has been restored to the main navigation bar, so please explore it and tell us what you think.
The virtual library link has been removed as this is only open to RSC members and many MyRSC users aren't members. Further information on it can be found here.
I'll work on getting the quick start updated accordingly.
The status box is really for you to tell other people what youa re up to. Many people use it for asking questions, it's a great way for starting conversations with other users as it is visible to all.
I have also fixed the invite others link- well spotted on that one.
With regards to the other aspects you found irritating, I'll pass these comments on to our technical team and let you know what we can do about them.
Again, thanks for the feedback.
Regards
Robert

Sort:

Want to reply?

You must be signed in to MyRSC to respond to forum posts. If you're not currently a member, you can register for free.