Changes to MyRSC

Changes to MyRSC

Posted by Phil Yates on Oct 22, 2013 2:09 pm

Dear all
MyRSC is undergoing some alterations during this week. You may have already noticed that some changes have been made to the main navigation links. Hopefully these changes will make it easier for you to find your way around the site. Later this week the whole look of the MyRSC site will be ‘refreshed’ to bring it into line with the main RSC website. This will be a purely cosmetic change and will not alter the content of the site. I hope you will enjoy this new look and find the navigation easier. As always, constructive feedback is very welcome!

Re: Changes to MyRSC

Posted by Phil Yates on Oct 28, 2013 8:50 am

Dear all,
By now hopefully you will have noticed that the above changes to MyRSC have taken place. I would be interested to hear your comments-do you like the new look? Have the changes to the top navigation links made it easier for you to find your way around the site? Please let me know, as this is just the beginning!

Posted by Robert Slinn on Oct 28, 2013 12:51 pm

Hi Phil, it is a lot cleaner and fresher-looking with much better navigation. I just wonder if a link to the RSC YouTube Channel and the latest Chemistry Sciences Repository http://www.rsc.org/Chemical-Sciences-Repository/articles/ could be added somewhere to let Members know of uploaded publications, files, videos, etc.

Posted by Phil Yates on Oct 28, 2013 1:53 pm

Hi Robert
Many thanks for your reply. I'm glad that you like the changes to the site! Thank you also for your suggestions for improvement, I will certainly add both of your suggestions to my growing list of potential future changes,
Best wishes
phil

Posted by David Everett on Oct 30, 2013 4:24 pm

I despair! Why oh why is there no obvious link from the RSC home page? I now find that if I click on 'Community' I'll find MyRSC but if I am trying to encourage group members to use MyRSC , surely it would be better if 'MyRSC' was the wording on which to click

Posted by Phil Yates on Oct 31, 2013 8:05 am

Thanks for your comment David. It's very timely, as I will be raising that point at a meeting today! I will let you know the outcome,
regards
phil

Posted by John Warren on Nov 6, 2013 1:34 pm

It has been a long time coming and so far it is not a disspointment. Although I long for the day where I can go to rsc.org login as a member and instantly have access to MyRSC and the RSC, RSC Pubs, Chemistry World, RSC Jobs all from a single login ID and password. But it sounds like that may be happening.

I leave you now I wish to explore the new site/layout somemore.

One thing that would be useful and probably is in a subheading is events. I like how the events were starting to get loaded into the system but trying to find them again after I'd deleted an email wasn't always very easy.

J

Posted by Phil Yates on Nov 6, 2013 1:52 pm

Thank you for taking the time to comment John and I'm glad that you like the changes to the site. The single login ID and password access is 'work in progress' right now. There is an 'events' category on the main Royal Society of Chemistry website but I will certainly consider the benefits of having a link to that here on MyRSC. If you have any further comments or suggestions I would be very happy to hear them,
regards
phil

Posted by Phil Yates on Dec 20, 2013 9:33 am

Dear all,
I have made some more changes to MyRSC over the past few days. You may have noticed that the top 'navigation bar' has altered somewhat. The category 'knowledge centre' has been re-named 'resources' and the content of that area overhauled and brought up to date. Also the popular MyRSC hosted area 'Talk Chemistry' is now more accessible from the top navigation bar-please note that 'Talk Chemistry' is intended as an online community specifically for chemistry teachers. Also the layout of the home page has been changed and some 'blocks' have been moved around. I would welcome any feedback from users as to how you feel about these ongoing changes!
Season's greetings to you all,
phil

Posted by Phil Yates on Apr 24, 2014 9:14 am

Dear all,
I have now added an 'events' link to the top navigation bar on the site. If you click on this link it will take you to the events page which lists (in calendar and list format) all of the upcoming events that have been added to MyRSC. Although this page had always been present on MyRSC, it had been hidden away in a corner! I hope you will find this a useful improvement to the site. As always, any feedback is most welcome,
regards
phil

Posted by Sidney BURFORD on Jun 6, 2014 3:35 am

Hi Phil,

Regarding the MyRSC Tool Bar, would it be possible to make the Log Out button 'floating' and in BIG FONT, or at least repeated at the bottom of the page. 
It is too easy to forget to logoff at present, especially after scrolling down the page.
Cheers, Cliff

Posted by Phil Yates on Jun 6, 2014 1:31 pm

Dear Dr Burford,
Many thanks for your question. I will ask our site developers as to whether this is possible or not and reply to you directly. It's worth noting that there is no problem with remaining signed in to the site though!
With best wishes
phil

Posted by Phil Yates on Jun 9, 2014 1:31 pm

As a site update, I have introduced some changes to the layout of the blog pages and have incorporated a new, 'draft blog' saving feature. Hopefully this will help those of you who currently write blogs for the site. If you are considering starting writing a blog for MyRSC, please do get in touch!
regards
phil

Want to reply?

You must be signed in to MyRSC to respond to forum posts. If you're not currently a member, you can register for free.