Temperature of KMnO4 and glycerol reaction?

Temperature of KMnO4 and glycerol reaction?

Posted by Nicola Jordan on Sep 22, 2017 2:27 pm

Hello,

I recieved a request for information from my colleague. Does anyone know the temperature of the KMnO4 and glycerol reaction?

Thank you in advance.
 Nicola

Re: Temperature of KMnO4 and glycerol reaction?

Posted by David Everett on Sep 25, 2017 10:00 am

Do you mean the temperature achieved during the reaction or the temperature the mixture needs to be for the reaction to start?

To answer the latter question : the reaction starts spontaneously at room temperature although the time taken for the reaction to get going depends on how finely the KMnO4 crystals are ground. This can be used to demonstrate the effect of particle size on the rate of reaction and the demo can be set up with several samples but with the KMnO4 ground to different particle sizes.

David

Posted by Nicola Jordan on Sep 26, 2017 12:08 pm

Hello David,

Thank you for replying to my question.

I was actually meaning the temperature that is reached during the reaction. Do you have any idea?

However, it was interesting that use this as a demo of reaction rate. I have never carried it out with that intention. 

Thanks again
 Nicola

Posted by David Everett on Sep 26, 2017 1:18 pm

I have no idea what temperature might be reached during the reaction. If you have access to an IR thermometer, try pointing it to the flaming mixture. I'd be interested to hear what temperature reading you get.

Another interesting extension to this experiment is to tip the resultant mixture into a sink and run cold water over it. A variety of Mn oxidation states will be seen: purple for unchanged KMnO4, green for Mn(VI) and a black ppt of MnO2.

Want to reply?

You must be signed in to MyRSC to respond to forum posts. If you're not currently a member, you can register for free.