RSC Elections.....President. My thoughts on Local Sections.....Roy Sandbach

RSC Elections.....President. My thoughts on Local Sections.....Roy Sandbach

Posted by Roy Sandbach on May 25, 2020 3:58 pm

Hi everyone,
I've just posted some of my thoughts on the importance of Interest Groups & I want to say a few words about Local Sections as well.

Although I've been involved with Division work with the RSC for many years, I've probably had my best times with my Local Section in Newcastle. What is better that a chemistry quiz with beer ! It's certainly better than watching my football club......another story. 
I remember turning up at that event and a local journalist friend was in the bar. I asked him whether he'd seen people that looked like they were chemists. He said no and asked why. I told him that we were the RSC and we were having a chemistry quiz.
He has wondered about me ever since !  

Seriously, Local Sections are our lifeblood and there are many vibrant communities. I'd love to visit more of them. But more to the point, while they have many members, I'd like to think that they could provide an even greater and flourishing local link to the RSC for students and younger scientists in the regions. I'd like to see Chemistry undergraduates and young University/working researchers get involved even more. There are some, but not enough. I would love to change this, while keeping the Local Section spirit that we have today.
Hope this makes sense. If anyone wants a chat, get in touch.
For now, I hope that you're all safe and well.
Roy
Professor Roy Sandbach OBE FRSC
Tel 07789 032618
Roy.sandbach@ncl.ac.uk
@profRoys

Re: RSC Elections.....President. My thoughts on Local Sections.....Roy Sandbach

Posted by Klais Surik on Mar 7, 2021 12:17 am

cool

Posted by Kelly Bruner on Jul 7, 2021 4:47 am

Glad to hear this update Roy. I never heard any updates this year about Local sections. 

Cheers,
www.kitchenremodelhawaii.com

Posted by Ernest Stephen on Jul 16, 2021 8:11 am

Extremely accommodating for me as I am a yearning Chemist. I'm truly happy to discover this string. Will check those connection. Much appreciated! residential fence installation

Posted by Lance Patton on Aug 5, 2021 3:02 pm

I needed to thank you for this incredible read! I like each and every piece of it. I have bookmarked your site to look at the new stuff you post.

Best regards,

inspecteur en batiment rive sud

Posted by tejar SEO on Apr 18, 2022 6:27 am

RSCNEWS JULY The case for chemistry What comes next for science funding? A better future for Kibera p10 Chemophobia, a chemists construct p13

2 Students from 15 schools across the northwest attended the Salters Festival event at Liverpool JMU. ( Matt Thomas) Basil McCrea MLA joins students at the Salters Festival event at Queen s University Belfast. ( Queen s University Belfast) Students enjoy solving puzzles with chemistry at Aberystwyth University. ( Centre for Widening Participation and Social Inclusion, Aberystwyth University) Patiently waiting for results at Aberystwyth University. ( Centre for Widening Participation and Social Inclusion, Aberystwyth University) Aoife Nash and Maeve Stillman from St Mary s College Derry at the Salters Festival of Chemistry at North West Regional College. ( North West Regional College) Flash and bang demo at Queen s University Belfast. ( Queen s University Belfast) Level 3 forensic science student Dillon Donaghey offers some advice to some Thornhill College pupils during the Salters Festival of Chemistry at North West Regional College. ( North West Regional College) See more about the Salters Festival on p19.

3 WEBSITE Find all the latest news at Contents JULY 2015 Editor: Edwin Silvester Design and production: Vivienne Brar Contact us: RSC News editorial office Thomas Graham House Science Park, Milton Road Cambridge, CB4 0WF, UK Tel: +44 (0) Burlington House, Piccadilly London W1J 0BA, UK Tel: +44 (0) facebook.com/royalsocietyofchemistry Photography: Shutterstock (cover) REGULARS 4 Snapshot News and updates from around the organisation 6 One to one How networks can help you 7 Profile Emma Sackville talks about fuel for the future and sharing enthusiasm for chemistry 13 Opinion A new way for chemists to think about the public 7 8 FEATURES 8 The case for chemistry What political change may mean for science funding 10 Collaboration for a better future Chemistry in action in Kibera 10 Royal Society of Chemistry 2015 Registered charity number DIARY 14 Conferences Upcoming meetings and deadlines 15 Events Your guide to events by region and section 17 Notices Exciting events from our community 21 Admissions Welcome to our newest members 13

4 Snapshot A look at the latest news from around the world IMAGE COURTESY OF MEMCOM FACEBOOK ACCOUNT INBRIEF Royal Society of Chemistry wins prestigious Membership awards We scooped two awards and were highly commended in a third category at the 10th Annual MemCom Membership Awards. The prestigious awards, announced in May, are very competitive and recognise excellence and achievement in the membership sector. The A Future in Chemistry website was the Outright Winner in the Digital/ Online Communications Microsite category. The site was launched a year ago to provide careers information and guidance to school students who are considering a career in the chemical sciences. The judges noted that the site is demonstrably different from the main site; it offers the target audience a visually engaging, responsive and mobile friendly experience. Our International Accreditation programme, which included an international ChemCareers event, was Outright Winner in the International Development category. The RSC success in taking degree accreditation worldwide impressed the judges. Since 2010 we have accredited 16 degree programmes across five regions around the world and supported this with ChemCareers events in India, Malaysia, and Indonesia. We were also Highly Commended in the Product/Service Development category for our ChemNet community. ChemNet supports a wide range of students studying chemistry across the UK. The judges felt that it was a great learning resource for year olds with an interest in Chemistry, it was inclusive, live, dynamic and engaging. Robert Bowles accepts the award for Digital/Online Communications Microsite from Anne Godfrey, Chief Executive, Chartered Institute of Marketing RSC Elections The results of the 2015 Royal Society of Chemistry elections are as follows: The president elect, Sir John Holman, was elected with 58.4% of the vote, 3,930 votes. Richard Catlow received 2,802 votes. Sir John said: I ve been an enthusiast for chemistry from the age of about 10, and my enthusiasm is undiminished today, so imagine how honoured I am to be elected President of the world s premier chemistry community. There should be no limit to what the RSC can achieve in advancing chemical science in industry, academia and the public realm. These results will be formally announced at our Annual General Meeting in Burlington House on 8 July 2015 at 5pm. President elect Sir John Holman Ordinary members of Council Polly Arnold, Sabine Flitsch, Melissa Hanna- Brown, David Rees, Janette Waterhouse Elected member of the Membership and Qualifications Board Elizabeth Page Outreach Conference On 5 June, over 50 members from Local Sections and RSC Networks across the UK and Ireland joined the Outreach Team at the Museum of Science and Industry in Manchester, to celebrate and share experiences in outreach.

Want to reply?

You must be signed in to MyRSC to respond to forum posts. If you're not currently a member, you can register for free.